Position Title: Medical Assistant
Reports to: Office Manager
Job Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Positions Supervised: None
Position Summary: Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
Essential Functions: To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Room and prepare patients for their office visits (take vitals, collect, and process specimens, etc.)
- Communicate effectively with the provider about the patient’s status and presenting problem(s)
- Carry out provider orders, to include performing specified procedures
- Accurately chart encounter in EMR system
- Inform patients via telephone of test results and discuss and fill prescription refills
- Blood draws when phlebotomist is not available
- Schedule procedures and surgeries, when necessary
- Catheterization of patients
- Bladder scans
- Assist with cystoscopies, prostate biopsies, and other procedures
- Occasional travel to other clinics may be required due to business needs
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Change’s approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Follows through on commitments.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma required
- Must be registered/certified or able to become so within 6 months
- 1+ year experience in busy medical setting
- 1+ year electronic medical records experience
- 1+ year urology and/or OB/GYN experience preferred
- 1+ year performing catheter changes, bladder scans, phlebotomy preferred
- Experience with Allscripts EMR
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Distance vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear.